Din Tai Fung Salted Egg Yolk Prawns
How to prepare your Salted Egg Yolk Prawns:
- Thaw out the Prawns and Salted Egg Yolk Sauce in the fridge overnight.
- In a clean deep pan, pour your choice of cooking oil to around 1 inch high, or just enough for deep frying. Heat the oil over medium heat until the temperature reaches 170 C, for around 15-18 minutes.Note: If without a thermometer, dip the end of a wooden spoon or chopstick into oil. If the oil steadily bubbles around the utensil, it should be ready. If bubbling is too vigorous, oil is too hot.
- In a clean bowl, prepare an egg wash by combining 1 whole egg with ¼ cup of water and mix well.
- Coat prawns with egg wash and evenly dredge with 100 gm (¾ cup) of cornstarch. Shake off excess cornstarch.
- Gradually and slowly add the prawns into the hot oil and fry until golden brown in color, texture should be crispy and firm, for around 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Make sure not to overcrowd the pot so the temperature of oil does not drop. If needed, fry in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan.
- In a clean pan, add 4 tablespoons of desired oil and heat over medium heat, 1 min. approx.
- Add sauce to oil and mix well.
- Place the fried prawns and carefully toss and mix until prawns are fully coated in sauce.
- Transfer to a plate and serve hot.