Ooma Ebi Tempura
How to prepare your Ebi Tempura:
- Defrost shrimp overnight in your refrigerator. Take out when ready to cook.
- In a clean deep pan, pour your choice of cooking oil to around 1.5-2 inches high, or just enough for deep frying. Heat the oil over medium heat until the temperature reaches 175 °C, for around 20 minutes. *Note: If without a thermometer, dip the end of a wooden spoon or chopstick into oil. If the oil steadily bubbles around the utensil, it should be ready. If bubbling is too vigorous, oil is too hot.
- Meanwhile, transfer flour for dredging into a clean plate or wide bowl.
- In another bowl, pour in the tempura batter mix. Add in 2 cups of ice cold water. Whisk together just until mostly incorporated, a few lumps remaining is fine. Do not overmix. *Note: Another way to test your oil in the absence of an instant-read thermometer: gently drip a small amount of batter into the pot. Flakes should float immediately and be golden brown in around 10-15 seconds.
- Take each piece of shrimp and coat in flour, making sure to coat the entire piece. Shake off excess flour.
- Transfer shrimp into the bowl of tempura batter and coat thoroughly. Let excess batter drip off.
- Holding on to the head of the shrimp, gently dip tail first into oil and let it fry for around 3 seconds before gently dropping the rest of the shrimp.
- Let it fry until golden brown, for around 2.5-3 minutes. If desired, gently drip more batter on top of the shrimp while frying for extra crunchy flakes. Be careful of oil splatter.
- Transfer to a plate lined with tissue to absorb the excess oil. Generously sprinkle with nori powder while hot.
- Heat up tempura sauce in the microwave until warmed through, for around 30 seconds. Add grated ginger and radish, if desired.
- Serve hot with sauces on the side. Itadakimasu!